Pages

02 September 2008

Jimmy Bullard: From House Painter to England International


International football has its share of Cinderella stories, and the heartbeat of Fulham’s midfield, Jimmy Bullard, is no exception.

According to the Guardian article, Bullard may earn his first international cap for England at aged 29 and he’s hoping his persistence will serve as inspiration to other aspiring footballers, who may be cut from amateur cloth rather than the typical early academy development stock which makes up most national sides.

The article goes on to quote Jimmy, who painted houses to make ends meet while he honed his considerable skills playing amateur football, "I hope what I have achieved will act as a spur to other players, other non-league players," said Bullard. "There are a lot of young players out there. There are a lot of older players out there. But you have always got time. My message is never give in, hang in there and play to the best of your ability.

"I was playing for Gravesend earning £60 a week which is a long way away from being picked for England. I remember it like it was yesterday. I played on the right wing and they were fantastic times. I enjoyed them immensely. Since getting the England call I've had text messages off everybody I have known down the years and it has brought back memories of a lot of old friends and great times in the past."

No comments: